Thursday, August 6, 2009

Chapter 11

Chapter 11 was about potential problems with using technology in schools. The three main categories are legal, social, and ethical. The biggest issue I remember from my time in high school was copyright concerns. Some instructors were very paranoid about potential violations of copyright, so they never bothered showing videos in classes.

The biggest problem I foresee for my future classroom, not forgetting Murphy, comes with software piracy. I hope to use simulations, like civilization building games, for some units if possible. The thing to remember here will be to get the licenses to permit its use in school; after getting school permission, of course.

The digital divide section of the chapter was interesting, but I believe this will be less of a problem for the people in this class than currently practicing teachers. Many that are even slightly older than me did not have computers in the household until later in life. We are now starting to tap into people young enough to have had them at least since their teen years, which I believe will help close the divide quickly.

No comments: